handicap international (humanity & inclusion) in Bangladesh
- Handicap International – humanity & inclusion (hi) is launching a project from April-2018, titled “PARADIGM – Poverty Alleviation through Resilience and Disability Inclusive Graduation Model”. Funded by UK Aid, this project will target extreme poor and poor households of people with disabilities in Kurigram (Sadar and Ulipur) and Chittagong (Sitakund) where HI will implement directly with the support of DPOs.
- HI will implement the project also with mainstreaming partners in other districts of Bangladesh, where HI will ensure disability inclusion in mainstreaming partners livelihood projects. This project will effectively combine rehabilitation, disaster risk reduction, psychosocial support and gender mainstreaming with livelihoods activities to achieve sustainable graduation of people with disabilities and their households out of extreme poverty and poverty.
Job Description / Responsibility
- Overall objective of the Job:
- Psychosocial Counsellor will ensure provision of psycho-social support to poor and extreme poor people including people with disabilities to contribute to poverty graduation processes, by directly providing psychosocial support, conducting referral and mobilising local resources, building capacity of community volunteers, working closely with Disability Officers and Livelihood Officers and regularly communicating and consulting with the Technical Advisor. Psychosocial Counsellor will be based in Kurigram, conducting regular support visits to the other geographic area.
- Key Responsibilities:
- 1. Psycho-social support to beneficiaries as part of the poverty graduation process
- Coordinate identification of poor and extreme poor people including people with disabilities with psycho-social support needs in Kurigram and Sitakunda
- Assess the psycho-social needs of identified beneficiaries including people with disabilities
- Plan and conduct individual, family and group counseling sessions, particularly related to motivation of beneficiaries including people with disabilities for entry or continuation in employment, with regular follow up, based on a prioritisation system
- Identify psycho-social referral linkages and refer poor and extreme poor people including people with disabilities to basic and specialised health and other social services, based on their needs and participate in the roll-out and use of a referral card system
- Ensure compliance with HI technical quality standards, in close coordination with the Technical Unit
- 2. Build linkages with the local community, Disabled Peoples’ Organisations and other local stakeholders on psycho-social issues
- Raise awareness at community level on psycho-social issues and advocate towards local government and other stakeholders, in collaboration with Disabled People’s Organisations, for the inclusion of beneficiaries including people with disabilities within different physical and mental health and other socio-economic development programmes in the working area
- Identify and network with other partners active in psychosocial issues in the region and maintain good relations with other relevant stakeholders
- Participate on behalf of HI in workshops, seminars and meeting related to psychosocial support activities under the supervision of the project manager
- 3. Capacity building of staff and Community Development Workers on psycho-social support:
- Capacity building of community workers on theoretical and practical skills related to psycho-social support and its contribution to poverty graduation processes via active involvement in delivering trainings, work-shops and provision of continuous on the job support
- Contribution to annual appraisals of Community Development Workers
- Provide basic training on psychosocial support for other HI staff in Kurigram, Sitakunda and elsewhere in Bangladesh
- 4. Contribute to the graduation from poverty and economic empowerment of people with disabilities through collaboration with Livelihood Officers and Disability Officers
- Contribute to the preparation of household/business plans and rehabilitation plans in collaboration with the Livelihood Officer and Disability Officer, based on the psycho-social needs of the person with a disability
- Collaborate closely with the Livelihood Officer at every step of the poverty graduation process
- Monitor the psycho-social progress of the person with a disability in terms of their inclusion in employment and contribute to re-planning of household/business plans
- 4. Contribute to the monitoring, data collection and documentation processes of the project related to poverty graduation
- Contribute to indicator and graduation/ quality of life index tracking related to the progress of beneficiaries towards graduation/ quality of life
- Maintain and update client files related to psycho-social assessments, plans and progress updates
- Contribute to the collection of case studies to monitor progress of targeted people with disabilities
- Support the production of leaflets, booklets and other information related to psychosocial support
- Position under organization chart: Project Manager
- Type of contract: Fixed Term
- Duration of the contract: 31/03/2022
- University degree in Psychosocial Counselling, Psychology or Mental Health
- At least 2 year(s)
- 2 years relevant experience, particularly working with people with disabilities
- Experience of poverty graduation processes, particularly related to vulnerable groups, including people with disabilities
- Experience participating in training (material development, training facilitation) and on-the-job capacity building of staff and community workers
- Proven analytical and planning skills
- Good oral and written communication skills in Bengali and English
- Computing skills (MS office package- both in English and Bangla)
- Experience and comprehensive understanding of disability
- Experience of working in remote community settings
- Experience in contributing to data collection and indicator
Online Job Posting
Please indicate ‘Psychosocial Counsellor-Kurigram’ in the subject line of the email.
Handicap International is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply and they will be preferred in case of equal qualifications with other candidates. Any sort of persuasion by person, phone, email or other means in this regard will automatically disqualify the candidate. The selected employee should clearly understand that all final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful reference check, pre- employment screening will be performed for all selected applicants.
Application Deadline : Mar 27, 2018
handicap international (humanity & inclusion) in BangladeshAddress : House # SW (F) 1/A, Road # 04, Gulshan – 1, Dhaka-1212.Business : handicap international (humanity & inclusion) is an independent international aid and development organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We are currently operating in over 60 countries and have more than 3500 employees worldwide.
Over the years, our organisation has developed considerable expertise and a wide range of activities for addressing the essential needs of people with disabilities and other vulnerable people, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.